Guided walks - Further information and terms
Further guided walk information and terms.
Size of Group
Each group will be accompanied by at least one Shepherds Walks guide, but many walks may have a backmarker, depending on numbers.
The ratio we use is one guide for a maximum of 20 walkers. Where more than one guide has been deployed, it will be the responsibility of the guide to ensure that groups are split into appropriate sizes and/or abilities prior to the start of the walk.
We reserve the right to cancel a walk/course if insufficient places have been sold to make it viable. If this happens we will endeavour to give you at least two weeks notice prior to the walk date. If you would prefer to transfer your place to an alternative available walk we will do this for you, otherwise we will give you a full refund.
Clothing and Equipment
Dress for the conditions and please be prepared for rain. A quick check of the local weather forecast in the morning will help you decide what to wear and bring.
- Walking boots or walking shoes and comfortable socks (why not try out some Capricorn Mohair Socks).
- No denim jeans, walking trousers are best.
- A waterproof jacket and over trousers.
- Hat and gloves and/ or a sunhat for sunny days.
- Sun cream or sun block.
- Personal first aid kit (and blister plasters).
- Any personal medication that clients are currently using, clearly labelled and easily accessible in the top lid pocket of rucksack is the usual advice.
- Water to keep you hydrated.
- Extra layers, many thin layers are better than one thick one.
- A picnic lunch and some snacks.
- A plastic survival bag is worth its weight in gold for all sorts of uses, everyone should carry one in the bottom of their sack.
- A small rucksack to carry it all in. Please remember many rucksacks are not waterproof, so put your items in plastic bags.
Other things you may fancy bringing with you.
- A camera (why not e-mail your walk pictures to Shepherds Walks).
- Walking poles
- Eye protection - sun glasses or safety glasses/goggles as appropriate for the conditions.
- Mosquito net for certain locations at particular seasons e.g. Kielder Forest & Kielder Water.
The guide may ensure that every member of the group is properly equipped before starting the walk. If the guide feels that anybody is not suitability equipped they have the right not to take the person on the walk. There will be no refund available if such an action has to be taken.
Dogs are allowed on this walk
If you wish to cancel your walk/ event/ course booking, you must notify us in writing (by post or email).
Refund policy, after customer cancellation
1. 56 days or more before course/walk/ event date - Full refund minus £5.00 admin charge or free transfer onto another course.
2. More than 28 days and less than 56 days a 50% refund or free transfer onto another course. If you transfer to another walk this is non-refundable and non-transferable.
3. Less than 28 days before the course/walk/ event date no refund will be given.
Amendment of booking
i) If you are unable to take up your walk/ event/ course, you may arrange for someone else to attend/ go in your place provided that you notify us in writing (by post or email) at least 7 days before the course. A £5.00 administration charge (including VAT) will be charged to your credit card for this service.
We will not be liable to pay any refunds or compensation if we are forced to cancel or change any aspect of the walk due to circumstances beyond our control which we could not have reasonably foreseen or forestalled. Such circumstances include, but are not restricted to, war or threat of war, terrorist activity, riots or civil strife, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disasters, fire or bad weather experienced once the walk has started.
Photographs / video
Images on the guided walks may be used in promotional material (both online and in print). If you have any concerns about this please let Northumbrian Shepherds Walks know at least 24 hours before the start of the walk. We will respect your privacy and handle the situation in a tactful manner.
Medical conditions and insurance
If you have any medical conditions that we need to be aware of please contact Shepherds Walks before the walk. This information will then be passed on to the guide. All this information will be handled in an appropriate manner.
Shepherds Walks cannot accept responsibility for illness, injury or loss, other than that caused by our proven negligence.
Health and safety
Shepherds Walks Ltd takes your health and safety very seriously. To ensure this, everything we do has your safety and wellbeing as an absolute priority. This is achieved through the implementation or our Health & Safety Policy. A copy of this is available on request from our office.
Any statements, descriptions, illustrations, photographs, drawings or any other matters contained in our website, advertisements or other literature are made in good faith but are not guaranteed to be accurate and are intended merely to represent a general picture of our walks/courses and shall not form any part of the contract between us.
We reserve the right to improve our walks from time to time so that the descriptions as set out in our website, advertisements and other literature may not match exactly with the actual walk that the participant experiences.
We will try to resolve any problems as soon as you notify us of them. If you wish to make a complaint during the walk, please inform your walk leader. If the problem cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, please notify our head office in writing within 14 days of the completion of the walk, setting out the full details of the complaint. We will reply to you within 14 days of the receipt of your letter.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Shepherds Walks Ltd